Gary Weimann was an active parent at GP Vanier involved with the school at many levels, including Chair on the Parent Council for many years. A loving father and husband, Gary lived what he believed – giving of himself and his time to the communities he lived in – his family, his children’s school and their neighbourhood. This award was established to honour Gary and to inspire his ideals in the hearts and minds of today’s youth, who are tomorrow’s future.
Friends, Family and Colleagues of Gary Weimann
Georges P. Vanier Junior High School
Field of Study
Open to students registered in and completing grade 9 at Georges P. Vanier Junior High School.
Applicants are required to submit an essay of three paragraphs and approximately 400 words outlining:
- Who are you (200 words) – how do you provide service to those in your community (family, school, neighbourhood)? (with examples of how you ‘give back’);
- What is your Passion (100 words) – what contributions will you make in the future and how does it involve service to others?
- What is your Plan (100 words) – how do you propose to spend this award for “personal enrichment” and how you will benefit from it.
Your award can be used for personal development endeavours that include (but are not limited to):
- Camps (music, art, sports, languages)
- Equipment (music, art, sports)
- Lessons / Studies (music, art, sports, language)
- Community Help / Outreach
- Exchange Programs (through a school-based program)
Selection will be based on the essay and evidence of community service.
Online application available at www.educationmatters.ca. Applicants should check with their guidance office for more information and are encouraged to discuss their application with the Scholarship Coordinator at their junior high school.
Selection & Payment
School specific. Recipients will be notified by June and announced at the school’s Year End Awards Ceremony. The Selection committee will include Parent Council members, the Principal or Teacher delegate, and a representative of EducationMatters. Payment will be made to a qualified donee and/or as a reimbursement of expenses submitted.